Wednesday, November 12, 2008

El Guadabarranco

The other day while I was walking my kids back from music class, I heard, "Look Mrs. Russell, there's a guadabarranco!!" The guadabarranco is the national bird of Nicaragua. My kids and I learned about it while we were studying Nicaragua during their Independence Celebration. This picture doesn't quite do it justice. It's really pretty. But that's not the point of this post.

It hit me right then, of how cool it is that I work in such a beautiful place. Never when I was working in Dallas did I see a gorgeous tropical bird in the "hallways" of my school. We never had that experience, imagine that! We sat for about 5 minutes and looked at it. At that moment, I was thankful to be in such an amazing, beautiful place that the Lord created.

On a side note: I also think this bird is cool because it has these 2 real long tail feathers. Everytime I see one or when I taught about it, the lyrics, "Shake your tail feathers..." went through my head. These kids here would not get it if I sang that, but those kids back in Dallas would for sure! :)

3 comments:

Jonathan Lilley said...

shake your tail feathers! see you in LESS THANK 2 WEEKS. ALL THREE OF YOU!

mrs. rains & family said...

oh, i love that. so fun. isn't it neat how God uses such gentle, simple ways to remind us of Him?

(and i'm super jealous that jon & sami get to see you guys!)

hope y'all are doing well!

Unknown said...

i want to see that bird in real life! maybe i will:)