Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A common situation

Just thought I would share about being pulled over here. In the past 2 weeks, David has been pulled over about 5 times. Need I remind you that we don't have a car, so it's not like we drive a lot!

This is how the conversation almost always goes
Cop: You were (speeding, not stopping fast enough, crossing a line) sir.
David: Oh, okay.
Cop: Do you have your documents?
(David hands them his driver's license, and the car's insurance cards)
Cop: Well what you did was an infraction of the law, so I'm going to have to give you a ticket.
David: Okay, Esta bien.
Cop: Well you could pay me now OR I'll have to take your license, and then you'll have to go to the bank and pay the fine.
David (and me): It's okay, we'll take the ticket
Cop: You'll have to go to the bank, pay the fine, lose your license OR you could pay me now.
David: It's okay, we'll take the ticket
(At this point the cop is a bit frustrated with our lack of Spanish and then usually looks at our insurance card, where it says where we work)
Cop: You work at the Christian Academy???
David: Yes, we are teachers there.
Cop: Oh, you can go.

Seriously, every time that is how it has gone. Sometimes we have to tell them where we work, but they have always let us go when they hear we work at NCA! I'm not exactly sure why, but we think it's a blessing from the Lord! :)

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

I'm sure you know this but I thought I'd share it anyway. I've heard that cops in Mexico (which I know you're not in MX) do that same thing. The reason they ask you to pay them immediately is that they pocket the $. If you pay them on the spot then they don't have to show that they stopped you and they take the cash home. It's super corrupt. I'm sure that is why they get frustrated when you say that you will pay at the bank. You possibly have gotten stopped a ton because they think you have "sucker" written all over your face since you are not locals.

Love all your pictures and the belly shots :O) Enjoy the last months of pregnancy!