Saturday, August 16, 2008

2 posts in one!

Well, our first week of school is over! This week has been both great and also hard! For me (Kristina) 1st grade has been pretty good, not too different than kindergarten! The hard things are the lack of English my students have and just the difference in Nica and American culture. I spent most of the week repeating myself extremely slowly (with hand motions) so they would understand what I was asking! I also had to learn how laid back the Nica culture is, even in school. The concept of students walking in a line is not the norm here. Oh, but it will be in 1st grade!!!
David's week was a bit exhausting! He is teaching 2 classes of Economics, 2 classes of Geography and 1 Bible Ethics class. He loves the Economics and Bible class; the Geography is bit less exciting. He's got some awesome students and then some students that test him. The first week/year of teaching is always trying, and it's not different here in Nicaragua!
You can pray for us to have strength, patience, joy and endurance to get everything done (plans, making test, interacting with students, teaching in the heat, etc.). Also pray for us to have a deep love for our students.

Here's a pic of David on Friday after his last class!! It's sums up how we were feeling! ( I don't know how to turn the picture yet)


Tonight, we got to celebrate a new teacher's birthday! Apparently, for all birthdays the teachers go to TGIFriday's. So, it was super fun to have yummy American food. Here is the birthday girl, Melissa, and another teacher, Joel.
And here is David and I eating a delicous chocolate, heavenly dessert! :)


Looking at this picture, I feel like I look a bit sweaty, so please don't judge me - it's hot here!

1 comment:

Jonathan Lilley said...

TGI FRIDAYS???? What state is nicaragua in again?! I think you guys are really in Arkansas or something.