Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Top 10

There are many things that I like about living in Nicaragua. Obviously I miss family and friends a ton! But these are some things I love.

10. Avocodos are huge, like the size of my head. Not really, but they are quite large.

9. I love the smell of clean here. It's different than in the states.

8. I love that I learned how to drive a stick shift here. It took a while, but I think I've got it down. It's actually kind of fun!

7. People here say Adios (bye) as you are passing them on the street. I think it's funny! We say hi, and they say bye.

6. I love the tranquilo pace of life. No one's in a rush. Church says it starts at 8:30, but 8:45, 9:00 is fine. No hurry!

5. Women here (and a lot of guys) LOVE babies! So, we're a big hit wherever we go. I get to cut in line all the time because of cute Beckett!

4. The mornings and evenings are the perfect temperature (for us!) It's a nice 80 degrees with an awesome breeze!

3. I like that I can buy a pineapple for about 80 cents. I love that we eat pineapple all year round.

2. I think it's hilarious that David is called Mister at school. Only Mister. Not Mister Russell, just Mister. And there are about 6 other Mister's there. They don't just say "Mister", it sounds more like "Meeester!" Cracks me up every time.

1. I also love how Nicaraguans don't point with their finger, but with their lips. At first, I was pretty sure people were constantly making kissing faces at me. Until I learned. I've decided I'm going to point with my lips from now on. No more wasting time lifting up my hand and streching out my finger to point to something. Just a purse of the lips. So easy!

My list is not exhaustive. Just some of the things I love about Nicalandia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that the Nicas appreciate my grandson almost as much as I do. That would have been #1 on my list, although the giant
avocados and pineapples sound fantastic too. And I can't wait to see you demo your lip-pointing skills!

Orell

Anonymous said...

I know the pace of life is a lot slower there.....except it seems like they are in a pretty big hurry when they are driving a car!
I hear a lot of Meeeeester and Miss at Richardson High School also! I did learn that it is a sign of respect to not be called by my name, but to be called Miss.
I also loved the smell of their "clean"! I have just found the detergent Lao used and I'm going to get some so I can feel closer to you all!

Mama