Wednesday, March 17, 2010

David is the BIG 3-0!

*I started this blog a while ago, just haven't had time to finish it yet! I have a hard time blogging and having vistors!

David has been gone the past week. He's been in Costa Rica with NCA for Hacia Democracy. (There will be a blog post about that soon, along with one about the NCA's festival)
While he was gone, he had a birthday. Not just any birthday, but a BIG one! 30. As in, he's been alive for 30 years!
I was sad that we couldn't be with him on his special day. Birthday's should be celebrated with cake and presents and laughter - on the actually day. (I do have a friend that disagrees with that, but we won't mention him)
In honor of his 30th birthday, I've thought of 30 things I love about David!

1. He's dang cute. The cutest boy I know. Don't argue with me - he is.
2. He tells it how it is.
3. He makes me laugh. He's probably not known for being really funny, but I think he is so funny. He can say things that make me laugh for days (lipsick on a pig!)
4. He is a man of integrity.
5. He is adventurous. If it weren't for him, I would probably lead a rather dull life.
6. He is beyond generous. He is constantly looking for ways to support people/ministries - financially or other ways.
7. He is a really good friend. to me and others. He pursues friendships.
8. He has some crazy curly hair. If we ever have a baby girl, I want her to have that same crazy curly hair. However, I will need Michelle and Sami to teach me how to tame it.
9. He loves basketball. I love basketball. It's pure greatness.
10. He's got some great hands. I've always liked hands, and his are the best. Not soft, but not super callousy (sp?). They're perfect for holding.
11. He is a fantastic Dad. He loves Beckett more than life. One of my favorite things is watching them play together.
12. He knows his way around a kitchen. When we first got married he probably cooked 80% of the time. The other 20, was me making mac and cheese and toast and something else involving cheese. I love that he can just whip something up! It's a true blessing to my heart and my tummy!
13. He has a great classic Russell smile. Perfect teeth. It makes me smile just thinking about it.
14. He'll eat most anything you put in front of him. Scorpion? Yep. Dog?? No problem. Crunchy, sandy snails??? Easy. (I don't know why I love that, I just do. He's not scared.)
15. He wants our marriage to be founded in Truth.
16. He works hard at our marriage. We figured out a long time ago, that we are rather different. We look at life different, we think about things differently. So sometimes (or maybe alot) it's hard for him to see where I'm coming from. Even still, he works hard to understand me.
17. He buys me Diet Coke and Mike and Ikes! Ahhh, pure bliss!
18. He is a great teacher. I knew he was great even before he had the label of a teacher. He just gets it. He knows how to make learning relavent. Students love his class! It's cool to see him do something he's gifted in.
19. He's handsome! (which is different than cute)
20. He teaches me new things. Like how to love reading. Or how to change a tire. Or how to drive a stick.
21. He loves Jesus.
22. He has got the prettiest blue-gray eyes. Hoping our next child has the blue eyes too!
23. He'll kill a roach for me. That is true love.
24. He is extremely realistic. It's not that I live in a fantasy world, I just am probably not quite as realistic as him. There have been numerous times in our marriage where something shocks the heck out of me (like it won't be easy to move to a new culture or having a baby is hard work!), and yet David is not shocked. He has thought the situation through and knows what to expect. He grounds me a bit. Which is good!
25. He is a great gift giver!
26. He can go to bed late, wake up really early and still be a pleasant person to be around. Weird, I know.
27. He is God's gift to me. God knew what I would need and blessed me with David.
28. He can whistle at this crazy high pitch. It's a little bit random, but I love that he can do that. (We won't mention, my awesome whistling abilities - this is a blog about David!)
29. He works hard at where God has put him. Right now, he's working hard at making deep relationships with the students at NCA. Before, he was being the best manager at Barnes and Noble, that he could be. He works hard for us to be united. Yeah, he's such a hard worker. I love that.
30. He is my absolute best friend.

So there you have it 30 reasons why I love David! I really could go on and on. He's the best!



This is not the best picture, but this is him with his yummy carrot birthday cake!
(Orell sent this cake down with Tracy. It was a bit of heaven!! Thank you Orell!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thank God also, that he brought a wonderful man into the life of my daughter.

Mama

Anonymous said...

What an incredible birthday tribute, and how very, very thankful I am to have a d-i-l who loves my son so much!
I love you both!
Orell

Anonymous said...

WOW! That was an awesome birthday gift, not just for David, but for all of us who know and love him. I thank God that He married such a creative and thoughtful woman...that's you, Kristina!
Love to all 3 of you,
Denise :)

The Horton Fam! said...

Forgot to say how much I loved this post and how much I love you! =D Of course I will help you with your child's crazy curly hair! She will be beautiful! Just like you! I miss you lots and can't wait to see you!