Friday, October 23, 2009

It finally happened....

Getting a ticket that is! :(

So about 3 weeks ago, I was driving back from my volleyball game in downtown Managua. I was minding my own business, when all of a sudden I got pulled over by a police officer. There is always a little bit of fear when you get pulled over here, especially when you can't always understand everything they say!

A lot of times, when you get pulled over they are looking for a bribe. This police officer; however, was not. He said that when I turned, I did not turn into the immediate lane and that is against the law here. Who knew?? So basically I got a ticket!

Getting a ticket here is different than in the states. They write you up a ticket on this little yellow piece of paper and then take your license! Your first thought is, "How am I going to drive without my license?" But have no fear, the ticket you received is now your temporary license. Seems weird to me, but it makes you pay the ticket, if you want your license back. So, I guess it's a good system.

So today, I had to go to the bank to pay the ticket. Again weird to me that you pay your ticket at the bank, but that's just how it is. Then I had to drive to Transito to get back my license. I was a little worried about whether or not I would actually get my license back. So I prayed about it and just did it.

It was actually very easy and they had a really good system set up! I went to Transito and there was my license (under the Extranjera window). So easy!

So yeah, no more fear about getting a ticket here! And to top it off the ticket was only 400 cords or $20! Not bad!

No comments: