Monday, October 19, 2009

Oktoberfest!

Randomly there is a large German population here in Managua. To me, it seems weird that there are so many German people here. However, they probably think the same thing - "Why are there so many North Americans here??" Regardless there are a lot of German people here. So much so, that there is a German school in Managua.

On Saturday, the German school hosted Oktoberfest. I'm trying to find some fun, cultural things to do here in Managua, so I thought let's go to Oktoberfest! I had never gone to Oktoberfest in the states, but in my head I pictured it kind of like the fair. You know, booths set up with games, booths with yummy food, German people walking around! :) I assumed since it was at a school that there wouldn't be any alcohol. Silly me! Nothing is never what I think it's going to be here!

Overall though, it was a lot of fun! We ate Brawtwurst (I have no clue how to spell that, but you know what I mean, right?), sawerkrawt (again, what's with these German words being impossible to spell)and had many Cokes! :) Beckett came with us and was a champ! He just sat and even fell asleep in David's arms - a rarity. And we got to see the German school! It is huge and unbelievably nice! Like really, really nice. Like better than anything I've seen here!

So yeah, Oktoberfest in Nicaragua. Who could imagine that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the cokes!!! ( any diet?)

Did you tell Beckett that his grandpa Geist was part German. You know "Geist"?????
Maybe he had some relatives there!