Friday, September 17, 2010

Independence Day

I love Nicaraguan Independence Day for several reasons.

1. We (meaning David, but me too) get 3 1/2 days off school, resulting in a 5 day weekend. Ahhhh, glorious, I tell you!

2. I always learn something about Nicaragua that I didn't previously know.

3. Nicaraguan dances are tons of fun to watch! Especially if your cute husband is involved.

So every year NCA puts on a huge Independence Day Celebration. The day begins with the 4th-6th graders reenacting some sort of scene from Nicarguan history. Horses are brought it, machetes are out, and guns are fired. Such fun

While this is happening, the 7th-12th graders are frantically putting together their tent. The theme for this year, was Nicaraguan art. So each grade has a tent that they must decorate somehow revolving around Nicaraguan art. For example, the Seniors decorated their tent to look like a common market here. They had hammocks, paintings, jewelry - everything that you could find in a market. They also must do a short presentation to the other grades, administrators, and teachers. The class with the most impressive tent and presentation wins a pizza party!

And then after this, comes the DANCING!! Oh, it's so fun (and hot!)! Every class gets a chance to shake their hips! It's pure greatness! Apparently though, you must be born Nicaraguan to really dance well here. Just saying!

And last but not least is the feast! No Independence Day would be complete without carne asada, gallo pinto, tostadas, and queso! So good!

I love this time of year!



The soccer field full of tents.



The Senior class.


Beckett was there to offer moral support and climb through the palm branches.


9th grade's theme was all about Nicaraguan money.


The chapel/cafeteria/all purpose area decorated for the special day!



World's cutest little girl, Lola.



High school girls dance. On the left, in red, is our pediatrician's daughter. We love them!



These are my 1st graders, who are now 3rd graders. Weird how that happens!



Check out these dresses!



Here's my cute husband. Yeah, he's got a machete in his hands - don't mess with him!



And the finale!



I'm at the akward stage of pregnacy - just looking sort of plump and thick. I know it's obnoxious to say, but I just have to. Pregnancy is weird - you can't really control how you look. That is all, done with my rant.

So there you have it. Nicaraguan Indpendence Day 2010.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think David is cute in that dancing costume and I wish you had a video of him performing! I think you are so pretty being pregnant! Hard to believe my little girl is having another baby! I can't wait!

Mama/grandma

Anonymous said...

I didn't see Joanna dancing. I'm sure it was just an oversight! David does look cute in his costume; or is that just how he dresses now. You look beautiful! Pregnancy look is great! Love to all, D.